Sedna HR35 Rasmus #277

Sedna HR35 Rasmus #277

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Living a Full Life




It's Thanksgiving 2013 and a beautiful day outside. Monday of this week I was blessed with meeting a real genuine person... But first the back story.


Now about 84 years of age, Joie Smith has been running Alpine Towing in Rhododendron on Mt Hood for 45 years.  I met Joie 6 years ago when I got my truck stuck in the snow up by the cabin. 
by Gary Randall



I was pretty surprised when the tow truck showed up and this little lady climbed down and started yanking out the tow cable.  Since then I've called Joie to order firewood, because she delivers the best Tamarack and it ensures I get to see her.  So, I was quite disappointed when I called her this year and she said she was just too old and couldn't do it any more... 
Bill & Rochelle Simmonds





I stopped in at Welches Mt. Building Center to ask Rochelle who I should call and she recommended a couple good people... 


I called George and arranged to get a cord and a half of guaranteed good Tamarack delivered the next afternoon. 

Believe it or not, buying firewood can be a bit stressful.  There's lots a people selling it, some good, some not so good... and when you get a bad load it haunts ya all winter long.  But when I saw George's face, I knew I hit a gold mine.  There was a twinge of stress, but a big smile.  

I'd gone out to the road to show him the way in and he was about 20 minutes late.  He apologized for being late and said he had to fix his grand daughters plumbing before he split half the load and drove over.  


We chatted as we unloaded the wood, and when I admired a couple flies in George's cap he told me the Steelhead were running bright in the Deschutes, that he'd been flyfishing in the area for 70 some years, and he wrote the book When the River Ran Wild. "Holy cow George,  I read that book... You're famous!
So, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?"... He continued to toss logs off the truck and answered.. 84.  We worked and talked about his life as a builder, logger, running a gas station.  But he seemed just as interested in me as telling his stories.  Over a cup of coffee and piece of pie he told us about his kids, grand kids, great grand kids...

As I walked George out to his truck and I said I enjoyed our conversation and I'd give him a call again... he said "this is probably my last year doing firewood".  Well... maybe we can go fishing then?

No comments:

Post a Comment